On a rainy weekend afternoon I decided to
do some cleanup of the workbench area, in sorting through the piles of bits
scattered around I found some old sprues from some previously completed model
I was ready to chuck them into the bin when
I realized what potential they had so I put them to one side with a note about
their usage whilst I continued the clean up. Once that was done I picked up the
sprues and sorted them into length and shape piles.
My intention was to rework the sprues into piping loads for longer wheelbased wagons and to get this started I measured some of the longer pieces to get a average length of 6.00 inches and was able to cut most of them to get a long piece and a leftover of various length. The ends and stubs were trimmed flat and square, residual flashing was trimmed or filed off , various bumps and roots (connections to other sprues) filed off. Other lengths with more interesting formations just had the ends trimmed square.
I had some spare 2-58 washers and trial fitted these to the trimmed end of the sprues, to simulate the flanges on the ends of piping, decided they looked acceptable and glued them in place. I also added the same washers to various stubs sticking out from the sprues. The partially finished pipes were then washed in detergent, allowed to dry and painted with two coats of matte black.
Looking at the completed items I thought additional details were need to improve the finished look so I dropped by Hobby Junction in Dorval where I found the ideal bits, N gauge brake wheels , which would serve as valve handles.
Several locations on the piping lengths were
selected and the sprues were drilled to accept the brake wheel shafts. These
were then glued in place and painted in either red or white which made the
finished articles look more interesting
Then I manufactured various shipping
fixtures and added chains and strap downs in different combinations. The
resultant loads can be used with long wheelbase wagons or if required static
loads parked on the layout.